Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur is now facing a seventh charge of first-degree murder for the death of man who disappeared from the Gay Village in 2010. From left, lawyer Samantha Saunders, part of McArthur's defence team, McArthur, Justice Wendy Agnew and Crown Michael Cantlon are shown.
Police now allege McArthur killed Faizi "on or about" December 29, 2010, according to documents filed in court Wednesday.
McArthur, wearing an orange prison jump suit, appeared by video in a Toronto courtroom Wednesday morning to be charged with first-degree murder in the case of Abdulbasir Faizi, an Afghan immigrant who went missing in 2010.
On Wednesday, lead investigator Det.
Police will provide an update to the public this afternoon, where they are expected to announce that they have identified additional remains unearthed from planters that were used by Mr. McArthur in his landscaping business. An assistant machine operator at a printing company, Faizi went missing on December 29, 2010.More news: Trump declares DACA 'dead' while urging lawmakers to 'act now' on immigration
Police are also waiting for warmer weather to investigate other properties associated with McArthur, Idsinga said. "As of today our list has grown from 30 properties to 75". The 66-year-old self-employed landscaper is already facing six first-degree murder charges in connection with the deaths of six men with ties to the city's LGBTQ neighbourhood. The Wednesday's charge brings the total to seven, but police do not rule out more charges as investigation progresses.
Police have identified the remains of more men suspected to have been murdered by alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur as they expand their investigation more than four decades into the past.
Detective Sgt. Hank Idsinga announced at a press conference later that the remains of three men, Selim Esen, Dean Lisowick and Faizi, have now been identified. While he said there is no current evidence linking McArthur to the cold cases, he said they fit the general profile of the alleged victims identified to date. He said police have received hundreds of tips, but have yet to identify the man in the image. While McArthur is believed to have met his victims on dating apps or Toronto's Gay Village, Judi Riley told CBC News that her brother, Jon, wasn't gay.
In the wake of escalating questions about the investigations into the disappearances of the missing people from Toronto's Gay Village, the Toronto police board voted unanimously last month to commission an external investigation into how the force conducts missing-persons probes. Project Houston was shut down 18 months later without yielding any results. He was reported missing to Peel Region police the next day. They also release the photograph of a dead man believed to be a victim of McArthur in the hopes the public will help identify him.
January 17, 2018 - Police uncover evidence suggesting McArthur was responsible for both Kinsman and Esen's deaths, along with the deaths of other unidentified people. Police say McArthur is believed to be responsible for other deaths.