Arab Coalition: Saudi Arabia Downs 4 Houthi Missiles

Adjust Comment Print

Yemen's Houthi movement fired ballistic missiles at what it called "economic and vital targets" in the southern Saudi province of Jizan on Saturday, and Saudi authorities said a man was killed by debris from the projectiles.

The Huthi rebels' Al Masirah television reported Saturday they had fired eight missiles towards Jizan, a day after Saudi defence forces said they had downed a missile headed for the same area.

As a result of air strikes killed two leaders of the Houthi rebels continued.

The Yemenis gathered, mid sadness, in Al Sabain district to pray tribute to Saleh al-Samad and the funeral was headed the president Madi Al-Mashat, ministers, military commanders of the state and many other important social figures.

Al-Samad, who held the post of president in the Houthi-backed political body, was the most senior official to be killed by the Western-backed alliance, which had offered a $20-million United States reward for any information that led to Samad's capture.

Witnesses in Sanaa reported more Saudi-led air raids over the capital during the funeral, without reporting any casualties.

Meanwhile, the rebel-run Al-Masirah TV said Saturday's missiles hit their targets with "high accuracy".

More news: Meek Mill has been released from prison

The rebels, known as Houthis, have previously fired missiles targeting the Saudi mainland, including the capital, Riyadh.

Saudi state-run tv provided the report early Saturday, saying greater than 50 have been killed.

The Iran-backed Houthis confirmed an overnight air strike on Sanaa but gave no details.

The Saudi-led coalition imposed a total blockade on Yemen's ports in November in retaliation for cross-border Huthi missile attacks on Saudi Arabia. The Shiite rebels known as Houthis did not immediately acknowledge the strike.

Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television said the overnight strike had targeted the interior ministry in Sanaa, which is controlled by the rebels.

The Iran-backed rebels have been locked in a war with the Saudi-led military alliance, which since 2015 has fought to restore the internationally-recognised Yemeni government to power.

Al-Arabiya, a Dubai-based satellite news network now believed to be majority-owned by Saudi Arabia, reported the strike Friday hit a high-level meeting of the Houthis. It said over 38 Houthi fighters including the two leaders were killed.

Comments