Israeli police fires rubber bullets to disperse Temple Mount protestors, 3 injured

Adjust Comment Print

For the first time in decades, Israel closed the site — sacred to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as the Temple Mount — on Friday, after three Arab Muslim Israeli citizens opened fire from the holy compound with automatic weapons, killing two police officers before they were shot and killed.

One of the wounded included Palestinian leader Mustafa Barghouti, who was reportedly shot in the head by a rubber bullet and brought to al-Makassed Hospital in east Jerusalem. In Islam, the same structure is referred to as the Noble Sanctuary, with Al-Aqsa Mosque and Dome of the Rock as the third holiest site for Muslims.

Sabri also accused Israeli Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan of "bravado and arrogance" for claiming on Sunday that Israel has sovereignty over security around the holy site and rejecting complaints made by Jordan and other Arab countries.

The act provoked several Muslims, who made a decision to protest outside the mosque's compound rather than enter.

Sheikh Ikrema Sabri, an imam at the mosque, backed protests by Palestinian Muslims, who have prayed outside the gates of the mosque since metal detectors were installed at the site.

Jerusalem's grand mufti, Mohammad Hussein, was arrested shortly after Friday prayers, which were held on a street outside the Old City.

More news: Maryam Mirzakhani, first woman to win Nobel for Mathematics, dies at 40

On Saturday, Netanyahu's spokesperson for Arab Media said the site would reopen on Sunday for worshipers, visitors and tourists.

Fatah Central Committee Member Jamal Muhaisen said that protest is necessary until the metal detectors are removed.

"I assume that with time they will understand that this is not bad", he told Army Radio. Israeli officials said they were a permanent measure but many worshippers refused to go through them and preferred to pray outside the compound.

It is worth mentioning that the Israeli military said its soldiers have detained twelve Palestinians overnight; four in Nablus, three in Qalqilia, three in Hebron, and two in Abu Dis near Jerusalem.

Palestinians view the new measures as Israel asserting further control over the site.

Israel's army alleged in a statement that a Palestinian man, who was later identified as 29-year-old Rafaat Nathmi Shukri Hirbawi, attempted a car-ramming attack against a group of Israeli soldiers at the entrance to the village of Beit Einun, located five kilometers northeast of al-Khalil (Hebron), on Tuesday afternoon.