India orders Kashmir clampdown ahead of anniversary of militant killing

Adjust Comment Print

Authorities had imposed curfew in old city area of Srinagar and in Burhan Wani's native town Tral, while restrictions were also imposed in nearly all the district headquarters in the Valley where the paramilitary CRPF and police in full riot gear patrolled the areas.

Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir), July 7: A day ahead of former Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani's death anniversary, authorities have beefed up security in the Valley to prevent terrorists and separatists from observing the day.

The Ministry of External Affairs on Sunday slammed Pakistan for glorifying slain Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, whose death in an encounter in Anantnag on July 8 a year ago sparked deadly unreast all across Jammu and Kashmir. Amid curfew-like restrictions in the Shopian main town and adjoining areas, protests and clashes broke out in Bonigam, Shirmal and Tukroo areas.

In view of the prevailing situation in the valley, the Amarnath pilgrimage has been suspended from the Bhagwati Nagar base camp in Jammu till further orders.

Inspector General of Police (IGP) IHK Munir Ahmad Khan in an order directed lease line Internet service providers to block all social media sites via lease lines from 10:00pm on Thursday night.

More news: Serious Knee Injury Ends Bethanie Mattek-Sands's Wimbledon

Shops and business establishments remained closed while vehicles remained off roads.

The concerns of the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir Government have augmented as the annual Amaranth Yatra is going on in the state. "However, if the situation aggravates, we may be forces to take harsh measures", a senior police officer said, wishing anonymity.

Seven people have been killed in cross-border shelling in disputed Kashmir, with both Pakistani and Indian officials trading the blame. On July 8, the killing of Burhan Wani completes a year.

The police fired tear gas canisters when protesters threw rocks at them - an increasingly common tactic in the region. Some of the injured were hit by pellets. The youths hurled stones at the army soldiers and clashes spread to other villages, including Arigam and Kounsarbal.

The death of Wani and the public fury it caused gave new life to the militant movement in Kashmir that had withered in recent years, after being reduced to just about 100 fighters in scattered outfits.