Video of gaming Seattle officer discussing shooting removed

Adjust Comment Print

On a weekday afternoon in March, Seattle police officers fenced off a city block as they tried to persuade a suicidal man in the middle of a downtown street to drop a knife.

Facing backlash on its handling of the officer-involved shooting death of Charleena Lyles, the Seattle Police Department will shut down its official Twitch channel.

Family members, who previously expressed concerns about her mental health, question why the officers didn't use nonlethal methods to subdue the petite woman and have suggested race played a role.

In April 2011, McNew was one of three officers who received a commendation from their patrol sergeant for how they responded to a suicidal person armed with a knife.

"When we call police for help, we expect protection".

Security footage from the building's hallway showed the two officers standing outside before they began speaking with Lyles on June 18.

Both officers were equipped with less lethal force options, police said.

"Her life wasn't ideal, like none of us are", he said.

The officers went to the apartment - where several children were present - after a call Sunday morning about a burglary, police said.

More news: Sean Spicer is interviewing his own replacement

On June 5, Lyles was arrested and charged with obstruction and harassment after police say she refused officers' orders to drop metal shears.

They arrived to her apartment knowing of a previous incident she had with police earlier in the month.

But a confrontation erupted.

Whitcomb also told GeekWire that he was not directed by Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole or Mayor Ed Murray's office to end outreach with Twitch.

On Sunday, shortly before 9 a.m., Lyles called 911 to report a break-in and told the operator that her door was open and that "there's stuff missing", from her home.

After the shooting, McNew said, 'one of the little babies crawls out from behind and right on top of her, her upper body, you know resting his head against her'.

Lyles had been in counseling, with and without her children, and she had obtained housing past year after fighting homelessness for a decade, court records indicate.

"Everything's normal, the officers are acting appropriately, taking her info", Whitcomb said. "We'll conduct this investigation thoroughly". "Our goal is to get to the truth".