Maria Sharapova Posts Allusive Retort After French Open Rejection

Adjust Comment Print

The Russian, a two-time champion at Roland Garros, was informed that her request for entry into the forthcoming grand slam following her recent return from a drugs ban had been rejected on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old was banned after testing positive for banned substance meldonium at the 2016 Australian Open, with the suspension causing her to fall down the world rankings.

"We have received a two-year commitment from one of the most famous athletes in the world, Maria Sharapova, to play the Aegon Classic Birmingham." said LTA Chief Executive Michael Downey.

Maria Sharapova has revealed that she will attempt to secure her place at Wimbledon through the qualifying rounds rather than requesting a wildcard. Sharapova's Wimbledon fate will be decided on June 20, when a committee meets to decide on wild cards for the main draw.

Sharapova this week responded to her French Open wildcard snub with a defiant Twitter message, saying: "If this is what it takes to rise up again, then I am in it all the way, everyday".

Sharapova guaranteed she would be clear to enter the Wimbledon qualifiers by winning a first-round match against American Christina McHale at the Italian Open on Monday, before retiring injured in the third set against Mirjana Lucic-Baroni a day later. The five-time Grand Slam victor had plummeted to 211.

More news: John Wall three-pointer sees Washington Wizards take Boston Celtics the distance

"In return we are providing Maria with a main draw wildcard for this year". Sharapova won Wimbledon in 2004.

Maria Sharapova retired from her Italian Open match citing an apparent left thigh injury hours after learning she would not be granted a wild card into the French Open.

On Friday, Sharapova said she has "already started getting treatment on the injury I sustained a few days ago in Rome and will begin my preparation as soon I get better".

Sharapova will also be at the tournament next year, with the event seen as one of the build-ups to Wimbledon.

She was initially banned for two years but this was reduced to 15 months on appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) which stated she bore no "significant fault" and did not intend to cheat.

Comments